With the increasing popularity of remote work, you might find yourself in a location that’s not exactly conducive to a video conference meeting (hey — is that a poster of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson on your wall?).
A virtual background can be a convenient and easy-to-use tool for disguising potentially, eh, iffy environments. But they’re also a lot of fun.
With Dialpad Meetings, you have two options for adding virtual backgrounds to your video conference:
- Blur: Soften, or obscure, your current background.
- Stock images: Select one of the available graphics as your background.
Once you have enabled a virtual background, all of the participants will get a video stream with the selected background.
Let's take a closer look at how virtual backgrounds work in Dialpad Meetings.
Enabling virtual backgrounds
Virtual backgrounds will be automatically enabled in your Dialpad Meetings app — no need to modify any settings. Just sit back and find your favorite background!
Business Plan Customers
If your company is on a paid Business Plan, Team Admins will see a new option in team settings labeled Allow custom backgrounds during video meetings. This will be enabled by default.
To access this, click on the Menu icon in your Dialpad Meetings app and select Settings. Scroll down until you see the options in the image below.
Once this feature has been activated (or if you already have it enabled), there are two places you'll find the virtual background option:
- Join flow: While joining the meeting, a new option will appear on the bottom toolbar labeled Change video background.
- Camera icon: When hovering over the camera icon, users will get an option to Change video background
Using virtual backgrounds
Once the virtual background option is selected, you’ll have three options:
- Remove the background.
- Apply blur.
- Choose from a list of stock images.
Here's what it will look like when you're in a meeting:
Frequently asked questions
Can you upload your own backgrounds?
Currently, you cannot upload your own background, but we’re working on it.
Can team admins upload default images for their team members?
No, not at this moment. But we’re working on that, too — stay tuned!
On which platforms is this feature supported?
- Chrome 94 and above only.
- Dialpad Meetings native app.
When I use virtual backgrounds, the CPU shoots up. Why is that and how can I resolve it?
Virtual background is a CPU-heavy feature. Depending on the machine you’re using, the CPU may shoot up. Here are different ways to debug it:
- Ensure that no CPU heavy applications are open.
- Close unused tabs from your browser.
If the issue isn’t resolved, then it’s best to disable virtual backgrounds.
I can’t see the virtual background option. Why is that?
If your machine is not compatible with virtual backgrounds, we automatically hide the feature. Here are some of those scenarios:
- Any browser apart from Google Chrome v94 and above.
- Mobile apps.
- All machines without a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
- Blacklisted GPU by browsers.